Happy New Year! I mean, sort of. I know we’re already eight days into this shiny, new year, but I’m still feeling the little spark of optimism I get each year around this time. This year will be DIFFERENT! This year will be BETTER! This year I will be MAGNIFICENT!
For at least three weeks or so.
I’m not much of a resolutions girl, but every January I feel inspired to start again with more purpose and resolve, and to break out of whatever rut I’ve found myself in. Instead of saying, “No more refined sugars,” I say, “Hey, maybe we won’t keep bags of Tate’s cookies lying around ‘just in case.’ ”
Work slows down for me around this time, which makes it a great time to focus on my own projects, hopes, and dreams. So am I working on in this nascent new year?
- Use the word “nascent” more often. Done and done! That was an easy one.
every day. In November, I started a new novel during NaNoWriMo, and was really enjoying writing if not every day then at least most days. Then December happened and I didn’t write at all. But it’s a brand-new year, and time to get back on it, right? RIGHT?!?! (Sorry, gentle reader, the yelling part was directed at myself, not at you.)
- Be more decisive. I love to research things to death, whether it’s where to stay on our next vacation or which sofa to buy or what dentist to go to. This year, I’m going to try to actually make decisions instead of just coming up with so many options that I feel overwhelmed and go looking for the bag of Tate’s.
- More time with friends. When I did a recap of last year, my favorite moments were when I was having quality time with people I love. I want more of that! More ukulele jam sessions, more impromptu brunches, more road trips to visit out-of-town friends. Life is short. Carpe friendum.
- Tackle house stuff. I don’t know what it is about January, but I always get really excited about decluttering and doing house projects. Last week, I got bids to have our house painted and culled 14 pairs of shoes. My weakness is stuff that needs to go but isn’t quite trash, like the laptop that I fried a couple of months ago that is probably irreparable, but maybe it’s not. (If anyone has any suggestions on that one, I’d love to hear it!)
- Seriously, cool it with the Tate’s cookies.
So, what about you, readers? What are your hopes, dreams, and plans for 2018?